In recent times, we have witnessed the rapid rate of globalization and its effects on mankind. The advent of new technologies, such as the Internet and other networks has its pros and cons. The pros of the evolving technologies include speed, efficiency, better time management, access to an ocean of information, mobility, agility, automation, connectivity, remote sharing, better management of resources, and the list could go on.
The drawbacks include higher levels of dependencies, data security concerns, and manipulation of information. Out of enlisted cons, one of the major downsides is that the new technologies have resulted in an increased rate of fraud in most sectors, and education is not an exception. Fraud and corruption in education may exist in various forms beyond contract-cheating. Its global manifestations include diploma mills and the counterfeiting of academic documents, bribery to ensure the licensing of educational institutions, the hiring of academic staff, the passing of examinations, admission into education programs, and the award of degrees.
Moreover, the increase in population has resulted in increased needs, but the employment opportunities are still way less than required. This has paved the way for many miscreants to set up agencies that provide fake mark sheets, degree certificates, and experience certificates. The funniest part is that there also exist fake universities, advertisements in the name of these fake universities have been flooding the World Wide Web platform in recent times.
This has indeed resulted in added pressure to companies, i.e., checking the authenticity of the documents presented by the job seeker.
So, there came the need for a background verification process. In general, it refers to any official process carried out by an organization to validate the documents submitted by the candidate’s post getting shortlisted in an interview.
Background verification process or Background Checker or Background screening is a major weapon of the MNCs for the risk mitigation and checking the authenticity of the candidates. Moreover, it acts as a major tool that gives an impression of the candidate to the HR.
The important point is that the company can perform these background verification checks only after informing the candidate and getting their signature in the consent form.
Background screening involves the verification of the following:
Employee Background Verification Process in MNCs
1. Candidate’s criminal history: To check if the candidates have any record of criminal behavior or related tendencies. This check is usually done to ensure the safety of the customers and the work environment. Moreover, the process followed to check criminal history differs from state to state.
2. Identity: The candidate’s name, place, and date of birth are referenced to verify the candidate’s credentials.
3. References: These are to check how many people and exactly who in their previous workplace would confirm the candidates’ skills and work ethic.
4. Work experience: Companies, organizations, and institutes the candidate claim to have worked with, and their credibility is cross-checked. Also, their reasons for leaving these organizations are reviewed. This check bears information about the candidates’ quality, work stability, and loyalty.
5. Address verification
6. Personal finances and credit: To check the credit score and loan details.
7. Sexual offender registry: This will reduce the risk of the company’s workplace sex offense.
8. Drug Screening Test: This test is a prerequisite in specific industries like aviation and driving.
The government also plays a vital role in this process. The tools used by the government to stop frauds are enlisted below:
1. Aadhaar verification: It consists of an individuals’ biometrics and consists of every other necessary information about the residence, D.O.B, and bank accounts.
2. National Skills Registry (NSR): NSR is the largest database consisting of nearly 255 companies with 18,84,380 biometrics submitted. That helps companies counter-check employees’ information (if they are registered).
3. National Academics Depository (NAD): Government launched NAD to store your education records digitally. NAD can also issue reliable certificates to verified users.
4. Permanent Account Number (PAN) card: It helps in keeping track of an individual’s transaction and tax liability.
The social media used by nearly 376.1 million Indian users has its role to play. It serves as a gateway that showcases the activities, interests, and affiliations of the candidates. Hence it serves as the best platform for the recruiter to know about the candidate without the latter’s presence.
Now, turning the focus onto how this screening is being carried out by the MNCs, one would witness the flurry of background organizations working solely on this process.
Recent studies have found that an MNC can carry out this screening process in the following ways:
1. Uses the platform WELCOME TO NATIONAL SKILLs REGISTRY
2. Reference from a connected network of people and organizations
3. Social media platforms
4. Hire third parties like HireRight, IDfy, SecUR credentials limited, etc.
5. Public sector undertakings (PSUs)
Moreover, one cannot deny the challenges faced by the organization in the process of background screening. One of the major problems faced is the time delay of the screening process, which affects both the employer and the candidate. Add to this, the other challenges would include the absence of updated records and the lack of open information.
After going through the above-stated points on the background verification process, one would have realized the need to countercheck every step taken in life. This is so because even a tiny mistake committed today can have its adverse effects on the things that will happen in the future. The takeaway from this is that never resort to the mindset of, “Why should I care about this mistake now?” Instead, solve them at the very moment and try to avoid mistakes and the activities which might backfire. Moreover, be cautious while entering personnel information on any social media platforms. Also, do present genuine documentation while seeking for a job, as this would give the best impression.